Damn you, Indecision!

Setback with NOOKcolor Froyo

Well, as some of you may know, I bought a NOOKcolor and used instructions from Nookdevs to root it using "Auto-nooter". That has been working pretty well. I keep learning new things from the wiki, so I haven't yet done a full write-up for my experience with this. I will be doing a write-up soon, though, so stay tuned.

A few days ago I'd stumbled across an XDA developers discussion forum thread saying that the "Nookie Froyo" ROM is really usable now, which piqued my interest. So last night I bought a class 6 microSD to use for the Froyo image, and was messing around with that whole process. After a lot of really frustrating setbacks — really long boot times, booting sometimes hangs, a ton of things force closing right at startup, touchscreen unresponsive at startup, force close loops, etc. — I finally got Froyo running on the NOOKcolor. However, the Google apps — Gmail, Android Market, Youtube, etc. — aren't included in this image, so they have to be installed separately via ADB. Without Android Market, it's basically impossible to install any apps without needing to do it all via ADB. This is where everything fell apart for me (even more).

Even with the "auto-nooter" stuff running on my NOOKcolor, I wasn't having the smoothest time getting ADB to work from my MacBook. I eventually found a temporary solution to get ADB working over Wi-Fi, and was able to install an application over ADB just to prove to myself that it worked. Android Market was included in the auto-nooter install, so getting ADB to work in this case was just an experiment. However, for the Nook Froyo, ADB access is key. Not only does it enable you to install the Google Apps, but there are many Nook Froyo tips listed to get other things working. I cannot get ADB to work in Nook Froyo using the temporary solution above because for some unknown reason, number keys do not work in the terminal emulator! So when I try to type in the command to set the ADB TCP port to 5555, I can't complete it because I can't actually type "5555". WTH??

I thought perhaps my MacBook is the problem. So today I busted out my old Windows laptop and installed ADB and the proper drivers (supposedly). However, when I tried to list what ADB devices were connected, the list contained a bogus serial number for my device (11223344556677). It should list my NOOKcolor's actual serial number. After a little bit of trying to get it to work, I gave up.

I don't know if it's my device, or if I'm just missing some step that's been figured out, but is buried in a 100-page discussion forum thread ( >:P), but at the moment I've reached the point where any more time spent on trying to get this to work isn't worth the effort for me. So while I was able to get vanilla, AOSP Froyo working, and it seemed to be more responsive and quicker than the auto-nooter install, I am going to go back to auto-nooter, because at least I have a bunch of apps set up and working (despite quirks with copy/paste not working right, and other niggles). 

If you're a tinkerer and don't mind sifting through wikis and uber-long discussion threads to get things all working, then I would say experimenting with Nookie Froyo is worth playing around with. At the very least, since it is installed and runs from the microSD, it doesn't interfere with your stock NOOKcolor, or even if you have the NOOKcolor rooted via auto-nooter, so playing around with it is basically zero-risk. I applaud the Nookdevs' work on this, because it is moving pretty fast, and is definitely leading to a full build of Froyo to run on the NOOKcolor. Very cool stuff. The devs have put all over the wiki pages that this is all at the alpha stage, so it's really not recommended for mainstream usage, so I was fully warned. I just reached my tolerance level for tinkering, and will wait until the Froyo port is further along.

Advertisements

One response

  1. Dan

    Hi,
    I had this same problem. I used adbwireless to resolve:

    https://market.android.com/details?id=siir.es.adbWireless

    Browse (on the nook) to http://siir.es/android/ and download the 1.4 version.

    Then install and connect using the instructions in the application.

    Follow the instructions in the “Experimental” section here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-917660.html

    It worked for me…

    March 24, 2011 at 1:21 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s